Here you will Find Topics such as Organic Gardening, Biodynamics, Whole Earth Gardening, Artisan Sourdough Bread making, Cooking from Scratch, Candle making, Soap Making, Beekeeping, Simple Living, Stockpiling, Energy Saving, Living Frugally and lovingly sharing with like minded people.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sourdough Revived

I have been making sourdough bread now for a few years on an off, I keep the starter in the fridge when I am not going to be baking bread for a while but try to keep it alive by taking it out and feeding it with flour and water occasionally, this also allows me to share my starter with friends.

I got it out on the weekend and added flour and water, this is what it looked like straight after adding them.
Quite lifeless, I fed it once more in a twenty four hour period and this is what it looked like then.
Full of life and lots of bubbles.

At this stage I took some of the starter out to keep for next time I want to make a loaf, the remainder I added organic Flour, Himalayan Crystal Salt, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Honey and Chia Seeds stirred then kneaded it until it was smooth and ready for placing in the tin.
I like to roll the bread in Polenta or Sunflower Seeds before I leave it to prove.  I now do the kneading of the bread at night and leave it covered on the bench over night, ready to bake the following morning.

Placed in the tin in the evening and the following morning ready to go into the oven.
Baked, Cooled, Sliced.

There is nothing quite like the satisfaction of tasting home baked sourdough bread, slightly warm.

Enjoy your day, we are getting some long overdue rain here today, I can hear the plants singing :)

Cheers Shirley :)

No comments:

Post a Comment